OMAHA COMPOSITE SQUADRON
CIVIL AIR PATROL
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
8901 S 154TH STREET
Omaha, NE 68138
POLICY MEMORANDUM FOR THE OMAHA COMPOSITE SQUADRON
FROM: Commander, Omaha Composite Squadron 23 October 2013
SUBJECT: Cadet Leadership Position Rotation/Selection
Purpose: This document outlines the timelines, term limits and process for Cadet Leadership Rotation and Staff Selection within the Omaha Composite Squadron. Every effort shall be made to provide all Cadets with Leadership positions and opportunities during their membership in Omaha Composite Squadron.
Remember: Staff service is a privilege, not a right. Cadets must work diligently if they are to enjoy the opportunities of serving in Cadet Leadership positions.
Cadet Leadership Position availability
Cadet Leadership positions may vary as the size of the OCS fluctuates or as CAP NHQ changes Cadet Leadership position requirements. This list will be updated as changes occur and/or brought to the attention of the OCS Commander/Deputy Commander for Cadets.
- Cadet Command/Executive Staff: Cadet Commander, Deputy Cadet Commander and Cadet Executive Officer
- Cadet Flight Staff: Flight Commander, Flight Sergeant, First Sergeant, and Element Leader
- Cadet Support Staff: Activities, Administrative, Aerospace Education, Communications, Drug Demand Reduction, Emergency Services, Leadership, Logistics, Operations, Public Affairs, Recruiting, Safety, Supply.
Note: Cadet Leadership Handbook, to review the responsibilities and expectations for each position, review the current CAP Cadet Staff Handbook (CAPP 52-15, Appendix 1).
Positions which are not filled may be assigned to individual Cadets at the OCS Commander’s or OCS Deputy Commander for Cadets’ discretion.
Cadet Leadership Position Term
Cadet Leadership positions will consist of six (6) month terms. The OCS Commander, in coordination with the OCS Deputy Commander for Cadets will retain the prerogative of extending or shortening Cadet staff terms to meet the squadron’s needs. The maximum term of service for any leadership position will be twelve (12) months in order to provide a diversity of skills and re-training/cross-training opportunities for all Cadets.
The beginning of each term will be determined by the Squadron Commander. All Cadets may apply for the available positions. The application window will open approximately two (2) months before the office is to be filled.
Cadet Leadership Position Selection
A Staff Selection process is used to fill Cadet Executive and Command Staff positions. Those applying for Support Staff positions will not be interviewed. If possible, before any Cadet staff members are selected, the Cadet Commander will provide the unit Commander with a list of personnel identified by projected position(s) he/she (the Cadet Commander) endorses.
Cadets applying for a Leadership position will submit the following (in writing) to the Cadet Commander/Deputy Commander for Cadets:
- CAP Resume (See below for suggested format).
- Detail what position is being applied for, and why you are the best OCS Cadet for that position.
Suggested CAP Resume Format
A Cadet’s CAP Resume outlines his/her activity and achievements during membership in CAP. The following is a suggested CAP Resume format (example follows suggestions):
- Current information placed at the top.
- Record information immediately after each event noted.
- Use an easy-to-read style.
- Keep in computer with a back-up.
- CAP Training may also be used to earn college credit(s), so keep all records to support future resumes.
Joe Q. Cadet
Joined Date: (Month/Year)
|Leadership/Training Activities||Staff Positions at Squadron|
|Event (include Location)
First Aid Knowledge
|Squadron Activities||Wing Activities|
|Description of Event
Wreaths Across America
Sand in the city
|Description of Event
05/15 Food Pantry
11/16 Meals on Wheels
General Emergency Services
Operations Security Awareness
Cadet of the Month
Cadet Staff Selection Process
Once the application window has closed, interview dates/times will be made available. Cadets will be contacted regarding their interview date/time assignments.
After all interviews are concluded, staff positions will be assigned and announced.
The Staff Selection Interview Board
The Staff Selection Interview Board for Cadet Command Staff will consist of:
- OCS Commander
- OCS Deputy Commander for Cadets
- OCS Deputy Commander for Seniors
- Current/Outgoing OCS Cadet Commander
At the OCS Commander’s discretion, other senior members may be asked to participate in the Staff Selection Interviews for Cadet Commander.
The Staff Selection Interview Board for Support staff will consist of:
- OCS Deputy Commander for Cadets
- Incoming Cadet Commander
- Incoming Cadet Deputy Commander
- Incoming Cadet Executive Officer
The Staff Selection Process (Activity Points)
A Cadet’s experiences in CAP will be assigned points values. These values will be taken into account during the staff selection process.
Time in CAP – 1 point for each year in CAP (rounded up to full year)
Time remaining as a Cadet in CAP (Based on years of school left before Graduation):
- 5-9 years remaining in CAP – 0 points
- 4 years remaining in CAP – 1 point
- 3 years remaining in CAP – 2 points
- 2 years remaining in CAP – 3 points
- 1 year remaining in CAP – 4 points
- 0 years remaining in CAP –5 points
Current Rank/Grade at time of application:
- Airman (C/Amn, C/A1C, C/SrA) – 1 point
- Jr. NCO (C/SSgt and C/TSgt) – 2 points
- Sr. NCO (C/CMSgt, C/SMSgt, C/CMSgt)– 3 points
- Officer (C/2dLt – C/Col) – 4 points
Encampment Basic – 1 point for each encampment.
Encampment Staff – 1 point for each encampment staffed.
Wing Activity Participation – 1 point for each individual activity listed on CAP Resume.
Squadron Activity Participation – 1 point for each activity participated in outside the regular squadron meetings (e.g. Color Guard, Drill Team, Cyber-Patriot, Aircraft Marshaling, Community Service (e.g., fly-ins and air show), etc.
Region/National Activity Participation – 1 point for each activity listed on CAP Resume.
Community Service – 1 point for each activity
Remember: Point total in and of itself will not be the single/primary criterion used in Staff Selection. Rather, points are to be used as one tool for the Cadet Leadership Staff Selection Interview Board to use in selecting new Cadet Leaders.
Robert R. McCartney,
Lieutenant Colonel, CAP